Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Gelli printing with family

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I took my Gelli printing supplies (Gelli plate 8x10, misc papers, misc paint, brayer, stencils) to our yearly family get-together.

My mom has been wanting to try Gelli printing and it was a great way to spend some quality time together (at least for us girls: my mom, my aunt, my sister, my niece, and I).

My sister's:
We typically put acrylic paint on the plate, then put stencils on top. Paper was put on top of the stencils and plate, and it was rubbed into all the stencil crevices.

On deli paper
Then after removing the paper and the stencils, there would be paint remaining on the plate. We would put another piece of paper down and rub over the surface to pick up the remaining paint. Sometimes we could get a third print. Halfway through our experiments, we realized we could put the paint covered stencil onto another sheet of paper to get yet another print.
On music sheet

On scrapbook paper with french writing

My niece's:
On rice paper

On bug page from illustrated encyclopedia
 My mom's:
On atlas page
On music sheet

On plant page from illustrated encyclopedia
 My aunt's:

On index page from encyclopedia

 Mine:
All on deli paper

My favorites

I love the stencil I used for the image on the left. It is a Julie Fei-Fan Balzer stencil I bought over the holiday. I think it rocks! By the way, I used Golden Fluid acrylic for just about all of our prints. I used Carbon Black for mine and the paint stuck to the plate like nobody's business. Mixing in some liquid matte medium into the black paint when brayering it on made it much easier to clean the plate afterward. Without the matte medium, I had to use soap and water to get it off completely.

Since I had my gelli printing supplies in one place when I got home, I did more gelli printing on Sunday. I will post those later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment