Saturday, December 28, 2013

Making a stencil

I was at the thrift store a few weeks ago and they had this cool fabric with an oval design. I thought their price was too high so decided to take a picture of the design with my phone.

Then I decided to use the photo to make a stencil.  Here is my computer printout and the sheet of Mylar I am using for the stencil.

This Mylar is very thin so I am a little worried about paint getting underneath it, but I think I am going to use Shiva oil sticks (with a stencil brush) on it so that shouldn't be a problem.

Here is my pencil sketch on Mylar. I improvised a little to make it about 7" x 10".

 I cut little "X"s with an Xacto knife, then cut the shapes out with curved manicure scissors (the only curved scissors I had in the house).

 Here is the result.

I liked the pattern so much, I made another one with smaller shapes.

1 comment:

  1. I like this design too. How long did it take you to cut out all those holes? Is this going to be a fabric project? For a gelli printing project? Now I think I would forget the craft knife and maybe try my Spellbinder ovals to make the design. I think it would get done a lot faster for me. Might try some hearts to see how that works. MOM

    ReplyDelete