Thursday, October 18, 2012

Acid dyeing wool yarn, weekend in Vail

This past weekend we went Vail for the weekend. Allen's niece had gotten married and they were in Vail for their honeymoon, so we met them for dinner on Sunday and wandered about town for a couple days.  The only Aspens that we saw that were still gold were in the town, all the ones on the mountain had already shed their leaves.

Artsy photo in town.


Here is the happy couple and Allen.

We went to Lancelot for dinner with them on Sunday. On Saturday night we went to Ludwig's for dinner and it was really good.

When we got back, I decided I wasn't too fond of this green kool-aid dyed wool yarn and decided to do a variegated acid dye on it.

I mixed three different colors, Chartreuse, Sky Blue and Sapphire Blue. I used 2 tsp for each and the dye looked really dark. I poured 1/4 of each in a cup and watered it down. I used both the concentrated and watered down dyes on the yarn.


I put my yarn in a couple layers of grocery bags to contain any dye that went through the yarn. I poured the concentrated dyes on in areas, then filled in any spots with the watered down dyes.  I put the yarn in my steamer. This steamer is for dyeing only and can never be used for food. I got this pot at the Goodwill a couple years ago. Steamed it for 40 minutes? I was doing other things so did not watch the clock.

The yarn is still drying but here are the results. It is a bit darker than I wanted but it still is lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment