I removed the wood trim around the top and started to remove the wallpaper. It looks like the wood trim is still up in the picture because the wall was painted burgundy previously. I started pulling off the textured wallpaper. Things were looking pretty good until I got to the exterior wall.
They loved their textured wallpaper:
Prior to tearing down the wallpaper.
They even put textured wallpaper on the ceilings. It's bubbling in this room, so it's coming down.
As I was tearing down the yellow paper on the exterior wall, blackish brown gunk started showing up on the exterior wall.
It appears to be between layers of wallpaper, not on the plaster wall itself. Allen got a mold test kit and it seems to either be dead mold, or more likely dirt. When sprayed with wallpaper remover, it runs down the wall like dirt.
The yellow layer of wallpaper came up pretty easy, but the older layers required more tools and chemicals. My guess is that there are two layers under the yellow, a floral one, and a barfy pink one. One of them was painted over, which makes the removal much more difficult.
The previous owners had removed some parts of the previous layers, but not all of it. So in this picture you can see painted plaster (where there was no paper), and bare plaster (where we removed paper that was painted).
Now I can move in my office desk and sewing table, fabrics, etc. So glad I have a room of my own to work in!