Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Art Experiments

During our move last month, my husband saw that I kept quite a few supplies that I have never used...ever. Which is (of course) totally true. I have some Depression-era genes (from my mom's side) for keeping things, assuming it will be needed eventually.  Why get rid of something if I may need one in five years and would have to re-buy it then?  At least it is mainly just art supplies I feel this way about.  I also have magpie syndrome, where new sparkly things (and the latest "hot" supply) attract me and end up being added to my stash.

Some examples:
  • I have items that I got from other artists (people that can actually de-stash) like Jacquard's Sherrill's Sherberts, which are discontinued fabric paints. 
  • The latest addition, a set of three "Silks" acrylic paints that were in the clearance section of Hobby Lobby.
  • I have a huge collection (15 or so? some are the mini-size) of Shiva Oil Sticks, and have only used them twice (once with the red one, and once with a gold one). I also have a stash of rubbing plates to use with these that have rarely seen the light of day.
  • The list goes on and on, Tyvek, Hot Dots, Twinkling H2Os, Dy-na-flow, etc.

In my desire need to: pare down, use supplies that I have and don't know whether I like, and prove that all my supplies are "necessary" (cough, cough), I've decided to experiment with a different product each week.  My plan is to post my experiments on Thursdays (starting tomorrow).  These experiments will be with supplies in my stash that I have never (or rarely have) used. My goal is to try to use as much of the supply as I can. If I like it, I can always buy more right? It seems most of the art I do involves experimentation on some level, so why not try something I own and see where it leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment