Sunday, December 7, 2014

Gelli printing makeup bags

I bought a set of five zipper bags for 50 cents at a craft estate sale. I thought I would experiment with gelli printing on them. 

I only did two of the bags. I gessoed them, and when that was dry, I used a makeup sponge and randomly applied Golden Hansa yellow, Napthol Red Light, and Quin magenta.

I then used my homemade lace stamp to stamp on them using my gelli plate.  I applied paints to my gelli plate, pressed the lace stamp into it, and then pressed on side of the bag into it, then rolled it onto it's bottom and pressed that part to the plate. Then I rolled it to the other side and pressed.  Any spots that looks like they were missed were pressed into the gelli plate wherever there was still fresh paint. 

Then I covered my gelli plate with turquoise paint and laid two different stencils over it.

I printed the bigger bag on both sides.


And then I removed the stencils and printed the smaller bag with the paint left on the gelli plate..


I didn't take a picture of the gelli plate for the next print, but I applied a coat of Quin Magenta.  I pressed some bubble wrap and flower textured scrapbook paper into the paint, then laid down a stencil.  I printed the big bag.


I removed the stencil and printed the smaller bag.



I would definitely do this again.  I was worried that the paint might not adhere to the bags, since they felt very smooth and like nylon (like a shower curtain), but it seems very well adhered.  I am contemplating doing a coat of gel medium to seal them, but I haven't decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment