Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Field trip to Sante Fe, part one

This past weekend, my husband and I went to Sante Fe for a long weekend. It's about a 6 hour drive from Denver.  It was a lot of fun. I liked the "high desert" feel and we saw a lot of art. It doesn't have much going on in the evenings. Most stores are closed by 6 and restaurants by 10. Not that we are late night party people, but there wasn't much to do after dinner.

Sante Fe does have some cute shops.  We went to Guadalupe's Fun Rubber Stamps on Don Gasper, as well as Doodlet's right next door. I didn't need any stamps, but Guadalupe's had some special paper to apply pictures to mica, which I wanted to try. Doodlet's is kind of a card/gift shop, but had some unique things. It was fun to poke around. I also liked Sante Fe Weaving Gallery, around the corner, at 124-1/2 Galisteo Street. There were some woven jackets, but many things were not woven. They had some lovely fiber necklaces and nuno felted jackets.

 We ate breakfast at Pasqual's cafe on Don Gasper. I had their huevos motulenos, which has feta, peas, and sauteed bananas with eggs over easy (long with green chili and other stuff). It was really good. 

We went to the Georgia O'Keefe museum. It was smaller than I thought it would be, and seemed to have the same or similar pieces as the Georgia O'Keefe show that was just in Denver.

We also went to the International Folk Art Museum which is a couple miles out of town. I really was not impressed at all and I think it was due to the way the items are displayed. They are all crowded together behind glass and reminded me of smaller (and much older) museums that just throw it all out there without any rhyme or reason. I would have liked it to either been organized by continent or region, or just show a lot less pieces so I could focus on the beauty of 1,000 objects, instead of being overwhelmed by 130,000 with none being displayed more prominently than the next. Maybe kids would like it?  
 

We went to La Boca for dinner. It is a tapas restaurant. We shared quite a few small plates, but the pork special was the best! After dinner we went to the Fine Arts Museum, as they are open until 8 on Friday nights and evening entry is free. The art downstairs was nice but nothing really grabbed me. They had an interesting video artist, Peter Sarkisian (link), upstairs which was quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment