Friday, November 2, 2012

Dyeing wool roving with Kool-aid

I was on Craigslist yesterday and came across a post for wool roving.  Needless to say, I bought it.  The woman had bought originally for someone to teach her kids how to spin yarn with it, and also color it. Here is the stash out of the bag.
Here I separated the colored from the white, and found I inherited the kid's attempts at yarn as well. These will make great accents to a felted art piece.

I pretty much used the same method as I showed here to dye the roving with Kool-Aid.

I filled a plastic microwaveable plastic container about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way with water. I wanted the roving submerged, so only used as much roving as would fit under the water.  I typically used two packs of Kool-Aid per color, though I did use three for the yellow.

I also wanted a brown so I tried this frosting flavor mix.  I added vinegar to the water as I did not know if this mix was acidic. It worked but it took a lot of rinsing to get the extra color out.

Here is the Caramel shown, it is much darker than the picture on the package. Still it is a nice red brown.  I also really like the blue shown here. I mixed three packets of Ice Blue Lemonade with a sprinkle of Grape.

And here are all the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment