Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Artsy handmade christmas cards

Last year I worked on making Christmas cards, but they never made it to the mailbox. I thought I'd show how they were made, as they look "arty" but are super easy and anyone with some decorative paper, some rubber stamps, and embossing powder can make them.

First, I made "serendipity paper". I don't know who came up this this term and technique. Basically, I took some papers that look good together (patterned, solid, holiday, metallic candy wrappers). I ripped them into various size pieces, at least 1" big, but many were bigger. Using a 12" x 12" piece of card stock as my base, I glued the pieces down, making sure they overlapped a little, in a very random way.  (Any glue will do, as long is it stays glued down, I think I used glue stick).  Once dry, I rubber stamped and used different embossing powders until I liked how it looked. I made sure to leave areas without any embossing.

Here are the papers (I didn't use all of it for the cards).

This is mainly red, I used gold, black and verdigris embossing powders.
 Here is a close-up.

This one is mainly green. I used black, gold, red, and glitter embossing powders.
 And a close-up.


Here are my some of my finished card fronts. I did embellish them with some gold 3D stickers to look like ornaments.


It's a fun "play" type project as there is not a lot of planning or thought. Just dive and have a good time!
They could be cut into round ornament shapes instead of trees as well.The serendipity paper is a great technique for collage or ATC backgrounds, it's a great jumping off point.


12/3/13 Here are some more pictures with star tree toppers and trunks added:



5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Just found this. Thank you for such a wonderful idea. I'm in the midst of making Christmas cards as a receptacle for gift cards this year. One down and eight to go. Wish I'd seen this post b/f I started. Many thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun and easy to make. I made two 12x12 sheets and got probably 40 cards and still have some left over!

      Delete
  2. WOW - that many? Your trees must be small. Do you put them on a large card, or is the tree the card. I'm gonna try the technique today. I don't have a whole bunch of jewel-toned papers, but hopefully, I can pull together enough to make a sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My trees are roughly 3" wide at the bottom and 3-5/8" high. I put them on white cards that are 5" W x 6-1/2"H so I could add a star on top and some kind of trunk at the bottom. I see that none of my pictures show stars or trunks so I will add some more pictures today! I agree my math didn't sound right, but when I sketched it up, I think you should be able to get twenty-one 3" x 3-5/8" trees from a 12" x 12" sheet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thanks again. My first tree is 4 1/4" wide at the bottom X 8" tall, fitting in an envelope of 5 1/2" X 8 1/2". I had so much fun making just one sheet yesterday, pulling colors from magazines. This is so exciting that I've given your link to a friend and my daughter. Thank you so much for sharing you technique. I'll use this many times again.

    ReplyDelete