Thursday, September 4, 2014

Art Experiment, Pebeo Prisme and jewelry blanks

Art Experiment is a a series of posts using supplies which I own but have rarely (or never) used. Failure or success is not important, it is trying something different and seeing what can come from it.  There are three goals: try something new, use something in my supply stash, and have fun/experiment in the studio.

Technically, I just bought this Pebeo product last week, which would not count as using something in my stash, but I did use jewelry blanks, glass squares, and vintage baking tins from my stash so it does qualify for my "art experiment" series.  I used all my jewelry blanks.  I am going to see how the glass squares look before making more.

Here is a picture of my jewelry blanks, my glass squares, and my Pebeo Fantasy Prisme discovery set. I wrapped the edges of the glass with blue painters tape to create a well for the Prisme paint.

I typically dropped three colors in each piece.  The videos on YouTube show them using a pipette to put the Prisme paint into the blanks. I own pipettes but did not want to have to clean them with rubbing alcohol afterwards (Prisme paints are solvent based) or throw them away, so I just used a popsicle stick to dribble it in. I found it best to hold the paint container over the piece I was working on, so the paint wouldn't dribble on my work surface or the jewelry blank's edges.

Watching the effects and colors merge and blend and make this sort of snakeskin or opal look was very interesting. Here are some of my pieces in the process of drying.

I decided to make a larger piece and scrounged around and find this metal "frame". I also found some vintage tins which I already had poked holes in to use for Christmas ornaments years ago (that never got made).  I decided to try adding dripped nail polish in the large piece (the white, and the gold glitter), since they are solvent based as well and I wanted to add another type of texture/color.

Here you can see how the patterns and colors change as they dry.
 About an hour
Completely dry.

I thought these four pendants looked kind of sad after drying. The paint shrinks as it dries and this left enough room to add another coat.
After adding another coat, completely dry. The paint is opaque, so it completely covered the first layer.

While I was at it, I thought I'd try this paint on some light switch covers I didn't like.

I put blue tape around the edge to make a well for the paint.  I also taped freezer paper behind the holes in the covers.
I didn't like how the red and purple one turned out, so I put a green/purple coat over it (which matches my funky green wallpaper much better). After they were dry, I did remove any excess paint around the edges with an Xacto knife.

I liked making all of these and they were super easy.  It takes a while for the colors to finish moving around (at least 6 hours is recommended) and 72 hours to dry completely.  I plan to add a clear coat to these so they will be convex instead of concave. I may try Diamond Glaze for this, so I don't have to mix any resin. Now I have some nice stocking stuffers for Christmas (and artsy light switch covers).

1 comment:

  1. This is a great experiment, thank you for posting!

    Marie (almost 4 yrs later)