Thursday, March 6, 2014

Updating the color on a whole cloth quilt

I had made this whole cloth quilt two or three years ago.  They are supposed to be "layered" houses but the color is too uniform.  I did not include any perspective (the houses in the back should be smaller) because I want it to look like a pattern as well.

I used Elmer's washable gel glue to create resist lines, and colored the houses different colors with thickened dyes.  The problem is, I did this on a previously snow dyed piece of fabric, so the color looked very uniform and the division lines didn't stand out.   I painted the roof lines, and window and door frames with Tsukineko white ink.  The whole thing still looks flat and blah. I thought adding different patterns and textures to the houses with the white ink would help, but it didn't really do much.

I pulled out my Setacolor transparent paints and have started adding more color to the houses.  I still have some more color to add.  I am thinking I'd paint all the doors and windows the same color, and use markers and pens to add more details to the trim and roof lines. It's definitely an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment