This weekend was in the 60's and I took the opportunity to do some shibori with Setacolor paints.
Here is my set-up. Paints on the left. PVC pipes to wrap the fabric, and a bunch of fabric.
I rolled the fabric around the pipe, not too tight since I need to manipulate it.
I twist and scrunch the fabric. When the whole fabric is scrunched, I try to scrunch it some more, as tight as possible. I use rubber bands on both ends.
Since I am not putting these in a dye bath, I can put fabric on both ends of the pipes. I did half the fabrics dry, and half of the fabrics wet (but wrung out before rolling onto the pipes).
This was a previously dyed piece of silk. I used a large plastic container lid to catch the excess paint and just poured the paints onto the fabric.
Here they are drying. I used a wrought iron end table set on it's side as a drying rack. Since these are sun print paints, I can't lay them flat or else the fabric laying on the ground will be a different color than the rest. (Yes, the table got paint all over it but I bought it at a thrift store for almost nothing years ago and a little paint won't hurt it.)
Here are the results:
Dry cotton type fabric, ironed. I think this looks like an explosion of McDonald's ketchup and mustard packets.
Dry Silk fabric, ironed, the paint is a bit blotchy.
Dry cotton type fabric, ironed, love this one!
This was the pre-dyed silk, not ironed, rolled wet
I definitely got more texture on the fabrics that were dry. The green cotton one is super awesome. I only got around to ironing some of them. I did get paint all over my PVC pipes. Since I use these for dyeing as well, I cleaned them up with Soft Scrub and the green rough side of a sponge. They cleaned up well except the jagged ends.
I think it may be time to put the Setacolor paints away, since winter is coming. Plus, I need to start making things with all this fabric!