Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day of the Dead skull with metal tape

I cut a bunch of masonite skull shapes using a friend's scroll saw and here is the first completed one.

I used Thickers brand stickers for the 3D elements, then covered the surface with aluminum tape from the hardware store.  I have quite a few metal tools for embossing so I used these for outlining the embellishments and adding pattern and details to the flat areas.  After all of my embossing was complete, I put on a coat of waterproof black ink. While it was still a little damp, I rubbed the majority of it off with a paper towel, so it would be darkest in the textured areas.  There were places where the ink didn't want to rub off, so I put a bit of rubbing alcohol on the paper towel and that worked well. It's been 24 hours and the ink is still a little sticky, but I hope it will be completely dry in a few days. Otherwise, I will give it a spray of clear coat to seal it. This would also be great with colored alcohol inks, I may have to give that a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment