Monday, June 8, 2015

Paris, Flea Market

For me, a trip to a big city is not complete without a trip to the flea market.

We went to the flea market at St.Ouen, at metro stop Porte de Clignancourt. After going through the gaunlet of watch, phone, and perfume salespeople standing around on the block between the metro stop and the flea market, then going through the large section of the flea market that is knockoff handbags and cheap clothes, we finally found the rusty bits, antiques, and other lovely things.

It was hard to get into the shopping groove after all the work it took to get to the good part. It was fun to walk around but the flea market was more like stores than flea market booths.  I know we did not explore all there was to see.  



I bought this wool embroidered fabric and am going to make pillows for the living room with it. I originally thought that was a monkey in a tree, now I am wondering if it's a lion?  There are some birds on other parts of it.


 I also bought some lace.

I love the darker one, it has birds on it.
Then I bought some "rusty bits". This vendor had tons of bins on the ground, with tons of decorative metal pieces in them.

Then I bought some old French documents.  Most of these are very old. The handwriting is fantastic.

I love what I bought, but I did like the flea market in Rome better, as it was more "flea market-y" and I felt the prices were more reasonable. I was not very good about haggling though...

No comments:

Post a Comment