A few months ago (I am very late in posting this), I decided to do some felting experiments.
I thought all my felting supplies were in one large tub and it wouldn't be too big a deal to pull them out for a felt day. Two large tubs, one small tub, and multiple bags later, I had most of my supplies, although there are still a few things missing that are still in moving boxes.
I wanted to make some wrist warmers/cuffs, and also play with doing some three dimensional felting. I thought I'd make the cuffs by nuno felting with silk fabric.
The blue and red piece is my first piece with resists. It's not too bad for a first effort, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
I really liked the felt "bubbles" or "baubles" or whatever they are called. I didn't think they were completely felted and set them aside to try and felt them some more later on before cutting their tops off.
Now that it's been a couple months, I really lost my urge to work on them any more. I went ahead and cut their heads off last night. They look okay, but the orange one had silk fabric on the inside, which did not felt to the wool. The purple one has dark purple wool as the inner layer, and it could have felted more as well. I don't think they are too bad for a first try. I had tied the baubles with cotton embroidery thread, thinking they would be permanently felted into the bauble shape. When I removed one of the pieces of embroidery thread, the opening re-opened. Another sign that it is probably not felted enough. I will sew the bottoms closed on the back side so I can then remove the embroidery floss.
I just started a multi-week online felting class, so will be posting more felting for the next couple months. The week one sample instructions look really interesting and I am looking forward to working on them. I better get on it, as week 2 instructions come out on Friday.