I finally realized it was summer and I should do some fabric painting outdoors. I have a fabric collage project in mind and wanted a bunch of different kinds of fabrics painted in similar colors.
I really like painting with my Setacolor transparent paints since I can dry/heat set them in the sun (instead of all the rinsing and washing that goes with dyeing fabric). To get a mottled effect in my paint colors, I like to do what I call "puddle painting". I use a plastic lid that has a recessed section, pour my paints on it, then sop up the paint with damp fabric. You can see my original post with step by step photos here. In my original post, I just laid the fabric on plastic tablecloths or plastic drop cloths. These paints are light sensitive, so if the fabric is slightly wrinkled or rippled, these will "sun print" onto the fabric. This time I stretched and pinned my fabrics on my large foam insulation boards to avoid this.
Here are my fabrics. (The "teal" color is not from the Setacolor transparent line, so will not sun print, but works fine for puddle painting).
I really wanted some dark fabrics for contrast.
This piece was previously ice dyed, but had way too much pink. The paint covered some of the pink but not the whole ice design. (The chevrons are embroidered on, originally ivory fabric with blue variegated chevrons).
Two more mediocre ice dyed pieces that were then painted. I wish I had taken pictures of the ice dyed fabrics that I made last week, but they were so "blah" that I didn't make the effort. Now that they look good, I wish I had "before" pictures.
I tried to avoid having bubbles, but the seams on this fabric made it impossible. You can see how the wrinkles and bubbles have sun printed onto the fabric. Not a fan of the wrinkles, but love the eyelet edging!
This one is not dry yet, but I was trying for a "sunset" look and am happy how it came out.
This piece is not dry yet, it is interfacing (I think it is fusible).
And I just keep finding fabric to paint, so here's some more.
This is a polyester sheer. I decided to include wrinkles so they would sun print.
So I did it again, with a shiny polyester and it looks good too.
And then let's try the first polyester again, but this time with different colors.
And this is the same technique on (previously ice-dyed) cotton, not nearly as interesting.
Next in the fabric stash are some lace pieces.
And then let's do some sun printing with stencils.
Shiny ombre polyester, painted with blues and purples and sun printed with stencils.
Sheer royal blue polyester painted with purple, blue, and black and sun printed with stencils.
Even the rag I used to clean my puddle palette between colors turned out interesting.
Not a bad stash for a day's work, now I need to find time to work on the fabric collage.